Creative Movement Therapy Association of India
with SNDT Women’s University Department of Special Education
9th Annual International Conference
at SNDTWU, Juhu Campus, Mumbai
November 19th and 20th
Holding Spaces Across Communities
Dance & other Arts Therapies
Pre-Conference Intensive - November 18, 2022Main Conference - November 19 & 20, 2022
Registrations for the Conference are open!
The conference will focus on experiences of re-visiting Community settings in India and the global scenario through Dance and other Art Therapies (Drama, Visual Art & Music) based on the current socio-cultural and geo-political contexts. Through experiential and theoretical sessions, panel discussions, research papers, and poster presentations, facilitators will offer engaging perspectives on the disintegration and re-grouping of communities through arts therapies - They will highlight creative, expressive and embodied practices which have had a psycho-social impact on collective resilience, conflict resolution, inter-generational trauma and re-integration of individuals into communities.
(Note: Before registering, please make sure you LOGIN/create a User ID by clicking the 'New user Registration' button or Register button at the top right corner of the page)
CMTAI extends a Warm Welcome!
Pre-conference Intensive Workshop:
Theme: Finding Flow: Emergent Kinesthetic Processes in Improvisational Movement and Dance Therapy
By Corinna Brown PhD, LCAT, BC-DMT
Date: November 18th, 2022
This intensive workshop will provide a combination of didactic and experiential learning to help participants understand the healing opportunities within emergent processes inherent in improvisational approaches to group dance/movement therapy including but not limited to the Chace Approach. The intensive will present several theoretical frames from which to examine the healing factors within creative arts therapy in general and within dance therapy, specifically, giving participants an embodied experience of each healing factor. Participants will be given time to explore and articulate these factors in their own creative practices and work.
It will review the positive psychology concept of flow and contrast it with the flow within group improvisation. Emphasis will be given to flow within a dance therapy group. This will include examining phenomena such as unison movement, repetition, making sounds and music (from the body and/or soundtrack), deep listening, connecting, and making visual, physical, emotional, and kinesthetic contact. How flow may be an indicator of the therapeutic effectiveness of group dance therapy will also be discussed.
The presenter will share her experience of working with a variety of populations over the past 3 decades in hospital, community, and private settings. She will give case examples of how she has used these processes to strengthen the community, help clients heal their trauma, and create healing spaces. She will include how this has shifted over the course of the COVID 19 Pandemic.
Honoring tacit knowledge and dance as a way of knowing, participants will have opportunities to explore their own creativity, movement expression, and healing practices during the session. Information will be presented via lecture, discussion, creative exploration, and movement experientials individually, in dyads, in small groups, and collectively. Opportunities will be given for participants to honor their own embodied knowledge, to play with cultural practices within this form, and to find joy.
To know more about the Pre-Conference Intensive Workshop and the Facilitator: CLICK HERE
The conference includes 4 concurrent sessions with a total of 24 sessions, research presentations, poster presentations and a panel discussion.
To know more about the sessions and profiles of facilitators: Session Details
To clarify your questions about the conference and registration process, you may read the FAQ: FAQ
Online Pre-recorded Sessions:
Fees: (Please note Pre-conference and Conference fees are Non-refundable and Non-transferable)
Early Bird Offer - 2022- Until 10th October
||Pre-Conference + Conference
NOTE: Mobile users may double tap on the table above to view the entire view the entire fee structure.
To Register for the Pre-Conference and the Conference: Registration.
International participants and Bulk Registration Participants kindly contact us at: [email protected].
Important! Please Note:
- Registration for only the Pre-conference Intensive Workshop is not possible. If you would like to attend the pre-conference workshop, please choose the Pre-conference+ Conference option. If you would like to attend only the conference, please choose the Conference Only option while filling the form.
- Members of CMTAI Chapters, please sign in using the email ID used for membership to avail membership discount.
- Students, please upload your Student ID or a letter from your Educational Institute to avail the student discount. Your document must indicate that you are currently a student. Otherwise your registration may be impacted.
- Pre-conference and Conference fees are Non-refundable and Non-transferable.
- If you are new to the Creative Arts Therapies, please select the sessions for beginners (as mentioned in the session description) so that you can be introduced to the work.
- Please note the schedule is tentative and subject to change.
- Please select your sessions carefully after reading the session descriptions thoroughly. Once sessions are selected, no changes will be possible.
- If you would like to register as a group (5 registrants) and avail a bulk discount, please write to [email protected].
- The registration process is as follows: Login > Register > Check Cart and Complete the Payment > Go to My Events > Select Respective Sessions and Confirm > Email confirmation will be sent.
Register button at the top right corner of the page)
CMTAI Conference Committee:
Mudrika Awasthi, Conference Director & Chapter Secretary- West Zone
Aparna Core Team Member, CMTAI
Maanasa M. Bharath, Core Team Member, CMTAI
Reetu Jain, Co-founder, CMTAI
Tripura Kashyap, Co-Founder, CMTAI
Preethi Rajagopalan, Core Team Member, CMTAI
Sukriti Dua, Core Team Member, CMTAI
SNDTWU Conference Committee:
Hon'ble Vice Chancellor Prof. Ujwala Chakradeo, Patron
Prof. Sujata Bhan, HOD, DSE SNDTWU, Convenor
Betty Abraham, Conference Leads